In recent years sports nutrition has pushed into the mainstream.1 It’s no longer just for building muscle. Consumers look to sports nutrition to support their proactive approach to health maintenance and better-for-you options to enhance their active lifestyles.2
As an industry, sports nutrition is booming. Globally it’s a market worth more than AUD $55 billion with a predicted compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.5%.3 With the increasing expansion to a broader consumer category, there has never been a better time for retailers to capitalise.
We’ve identified four sports nutrition trends driven by consumer demand and preferences so you can make the most of the opportunities in the market.
Traditionally sports nutrition products are chosen for their efficacy over other considerations. But with the uptake in adoption by lifestyle consumers, flavour is increasingly important. It’s important to 41% of consumers, coming in third behind health and cost considerations.4
While chocolate and vanilla flavours remain go-to favourites, more and more consumers are reaching for innovative flavour combinations and new tastes.
From the trending to the nostalgic and mouthwateringly enticing, here’s just a sample of the exciting flavour innovations you can offer your customers from a selection of leading brands:
- Happy Way Biscoff-inspired Caramel Biscuit Protein Powder
- Botanika Blends Fruity Cereal Mylk Plant Protein
- Macro Mike Caramel Cinnamon Bun Peanut Plant Protein
In an analysis of Amazon sales data, plant-based protein powder was revealed to have a 25% market share (second behind whey protein powder at 50%) but with 39% year-over-year (YoY) growth, it was the fastest growing segment.5
This follows a general dietary trend towards plant-based eating with 73% of global consumers saying they eat less meat as it is a healthier option. 26% of people also now identify as flexitarian.6
What are the options for tasty plant-based proteins for your customers? These top-selling brands are the place to start:
- Macro Mike offers both Peanut and Almond proteins with a recent re-formulation to enhance the products and taste even further.
- In the protein snack bar market, CLIF Bar is a leader with only plant-based ingredients and plant-based protein used across range.
- Essential Hemp offers an innovative protein powder alternative made from hemp protein.
Protein isn’t the only thing booming. Uptake of pre-workout supplements as a sports nutrition trend is also on the rise. In the Amazon analysis, sales of sports nutrition supplements, including pre and post workout supplements, saw YoY growth of 41%. In this sub-category, pre-workout supplements lead the way with a market share of 65% and YoY growth of 45%.5
Pre-workout supplements are designed to help boost energy and performance to maximise a workout. The rise in these supplements comes back to consumers looking for products and nutrition to help them stay active.
For premium, natural pre-workout supplements to stock your shelves, look to brands and products like:
- Protein Supplies Australia Spark (All Natural Pre-workout) range
- Eden Healthfoods Pre-workout Energy Shot
- Happy Way Charge Up range
- Macro Mike Pre-workout range
Research has shown that consumers who haven’t yet used sports nutrition products are sceptical of the benefits of the products.6 It’s not just clean ingredients that are important. Transparency around ingredients and sustainability is also key.
This is another of the sports nutrition trends that’s influenced by broader consumer preferences with increasing demands for clear labelling and natural ingredients.7
Give your customers clean sports nutrition alternatives with these popular brands:
- Happy Way sports nutrition products are made with natural and organic ingredients and free from preservatives, artificial sweeteners and flavours.
- One of the core food values of the CLIF Bar brand is about prioritising people and the planet by using organic ingredients and proudly supporting sustainable agriculture.
- There are no artificial colours, sweeteners or preservatives in the Botanika Blends range of Plant Protein Powders.
Capitalise on the sports nutrition trends
At Unique Health Products we proudly make it easier for you to do business. If you’re ready to capitalise on these sports nutrition trends, we have a huge range of top-selling brands and products for you to add to your shelves. Shop online 24/7 or call our friendly sales team on 1800 787 904. If you’re a new Unique Health Products customer, you can register your account here.
1. Nutritional Outlook, 2020.
2. FMCG Gurus, 2020.
3. Grandview Research, 2022.
4. Innova Market Insights, 2021.
5. ClearCut, 2021.
6. Nutraingredients, 2019.
7. FMCG Gurus, 2021.